How to Choose a California Criminal Defense Attorney
Why should you choose Tully & Weiss Attorneys at Law? Joseph Tully leads a team of talented and experienced California criminal defense attorneys. Mr. Tully's vision for his team is to even the odds faced by defendants. The goal was to build a law firm of incredibly talented litigators that deliver high-quality representation to fight against a system that is stacked in favor of prosecutors. Build a machine to beat the machine! The full weight of the criminal system, complete with a massive government budget, institutionalized bias, and judges too compliant to prosecutors, is a daunting opponent that requires a well-engineered defense. Here is some advice on how to choose a California criminal defense attorney.
For over twenty years, Tully & Weiss Attorneys at Law has been focused on criminal law and has worked together to defend the lives and freedom of clients accused of serious crimes. But how can you know if our law firm is best for you and your case?
Finding the Right Criminal Defense Firm for YOU
The California Bar offers advice on how to find the right lawyer for you and your case. You can read the Bar's tips here. Two of their top tips are to 1.) look for Referrals, and to 2.) seek out attorneys that are certified by the State Bar as legal specialists.
- There are reviews from some of the hundreds of clients and their family members we have helped defend against terrible accusations. Word of mouth, and personal experiences, say a lot about a firm. Check out our Facebook reviews here.
- Certified specialists. A Certified Criminal Law Specialist is an attorney who has been certified by the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization. A very small percentage of attorneys have achieved this level of criminal defense expert certification. It is a rare distinction granted after years of experience, proven skill, further education, and additional testing. Joseph Tully (pictured to the right), and two of our attorneys of counsel, have earned this mark of merit.
Referrals and specialization are key points, but we also believe that a firm's trial experience is a factor to be considered. Is the firm successful in trials? Do they even go to trial? How many cases have they tried? What types of serious crimes and accusations have they defended against? Has their previous success been in areas related to your case? Ask any potential firm to describe their experience, skills, and track record, specifically in cases related to your own.
We Stand on our Criminal Defense Record
Above all, at Tully & Weiss, we stand by our trial record, both in going to trial and positive results in trial. Check out our trial statistics. Keep in mind those trial statistics are based on cases at trial and getting proven results. Tully & Weiss Attorneys at Law's trial record speaks for itself. We also have a great track record negotiating before trial, fighting to have charges and sentences reduced in court, getting charges dismissed, and avoiding charges altogether. Our victories include murder cases, gun crimes, drug charges, violent crimes, sex charges, and domestic violence. Of course, prior results are not a guarantee of future performance. Every case is unique and a challenge in its own way.
Trial success and experience are good indicators of the willingness of a lawyer to aggressively fight for justice, and whether prosecutors and judges respect them. Some ex-prosecutors who go into private defense work imply in their literature that they can leverage prior relationships into results. However, the reality is that case outcomes are determined by respect and ability to fight, not whether your attorney can wink or nod at a prosecutor. While relationships can be important, respect is more important than a prosecutor or judge liking your attorney.
Certainly, many law firms show off their honors and awards as badges of their abilities. Many factors go into being selected for these awards, and they can help lawyers stand out from the pack, but they are just one indicator of a firm's potential to best help with your charges.
Joseph Tully has been recognized as an authority in legal matters for his knowledge and experience by his peers, legal organizations, and media outlets. He has appeared on network news programs, CourtTV, and been quoted in major newspapers and magazines.
Joseph Tully's legal industry awards include:
- National Trial Lawyers – Top 100 Trial Lawyers
2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
- National Academy of Criminal Defense Attorneys – Top Ten Attorneys Award
2018, 2019, 2020
- America's Top 100 Attorneys – Top 100 Criminal Defense Attorneys
2018, 2019, 2020
- American Institution of Criminal Law Attorneys – 10 Best Attorney
- Attorney Practice Magazine – Top 100 Criminal Defense Attorneys
- Joseph Tully and Ashley Bargenquast were recognized as “SuperLawyers” for 2020 and 2021
Finally, our attorneys have awards, but our attorneys' certifications and jury trial successes are what we are most proud. There is nothing sweeter to a Tully & Weiss Attorney's ear than the words “not guilty” at the end of a jury trial, except maybe, “case dismissed” just prior to it.